Pacific Standard is looking for a savvy Web producer who wants to help take a national public interest magazine into the future.
(Photo: Terence Patrick)
We’re looking for someone with the technical, organizational, and editorial skills of a journalist or public relations/marketing associate to produce stories and manage the homepage of our daily Website as well as envision new and innovative ways of presenting and publishing our print stories and materials on the Web. In this role, the Web producer will work with editorial staff and third-party vendors to create, execute, and track the impact our content strategy has on audience growth, brand awareness, and reader engagement.
We are an ambitious crew based on the West Coast publishing stories for a national audience, which means this role often involves early mornings or late nights. This person will be ultimately responsible for the look and feel of Pacific Standard on the Web.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translate and produce our print magazine stories for the Web, working with story editors to find photographs, devise interesting layouts, and craft Web-friendly heds and deks.
- Work with the story editors and creative director to come up with tailored arrangements and ideal art to maximize the reach of the print product on the Web.
- Assist daily Web editors with the production of breaking news and analysis stories, including translating Word documents and Google documents into stories on the Medium content management system, finding relevant photos, and managing our relationships with photo agencies.
- Coordinate, fix, and update daily publication schedule in communication with daily editors.
- Act as the point person for all third-party marketing agencies to stage and produce promotional pages, subscription pages, and calls to action, and maintain a uniform style on social media pages.
- Change mixture of stories on homepage to keep readers interested and maintain a fresh presence.
- Develop and maintain best practices for Web production and visuals, linking standards, presentations of related content, and the presentation of editorial notes and corrections. Maintain and enforce the Pacific Standard house style guide through occasional staff memos and daily edits.
- Communicate with outside freelancers to help them join Medium and create author profiles. Act as the point person for our relationship with Medium, updating staff on changes, shifts, and potential developments on our content management system.
- Be the last eyes on all Web stories, fixing typos, mistakes, and other glitches before they are published.
- Interface with our editorial partners to select, produce, and schedule content by other organizations.
- Maintain our institutional Web presence, including our Contact Us, About Us, and other related pages.
- Tie all the miscellaneous knots, not listed here, of maintaining and producing a fast-paced, modern magazine Website and accompanying digital products, including email newsletters.
This full-time position, with benefits, is located in Santa Barbara, California; no telecommuting. To apply, send a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and relevant experience to deputy editor Ryan Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org. All application materials should be submitted electronically. We regret that we cannot respond to all applicants. Absolutely no phone calls, please.