A Fourth Woman Accuses Roman Polanski of Sexual Abuse - Pacific Standard

A Fourth Woman Accuses Roman Polanski of Sexual Abuse

Author:
Publish date:

Another woman has stepped forward with accusations of sexual abuse against director Roman Polanski.

The New York Times published a report on Tuesday afternoon stating that a 61-year-old former German actress, Renate Langer, reported to the Swiss police in September that Polanski had raped her at her home in Switzerland when she was 15 years old. The actress is the fourth woman to come forward with allegations that Polanski sexually assaulted her as a teenager.

Langer initially met with Swiss police on September 26th because Switzerland has no statue of limitations on child sexual abuse cases, she told the Times. Langer said that she had not previously reported the alleged rape so as not to alarm her parents, though she said she did tell one boyfriend years after the abuse allegedly occurred.

"My mother would have had a heart attack," Langer said. "I felt ashamed and embarrassed and lost and solo."

Polanski has resided in Europe since he fled the United States in 1978, on the day he was due in court to receive sentencing for a rape case involving a 13-year-old model. In 2010, British actress Charlotte Lewis accused Polanski of sexual abusing her when she was 16, and this past August a woman who called herself "Robin M." said that Polanski sexually assaulted her when she was 16 years old.

Polanski's lawyer declined to comment for the Times' report.

Related