Pacific Standard is looking for an associate editor to work primarily on social media and community engagement. This is an exciting opportunity for a multi-talented journalist to join us at a time when brand recognition and readership are growing rapidly. We are a small and nimble team, and this person will be encouraged to edit and write in addition to their primary responsibilities. This full-time position with benefits is based out of our office in downtown Santa Barbara, California, and will report directly to the digital director. We will not consider candidates looking to work remotely.
Yes, we're looking for someone to manage our Twitter and Facebook presence, but also someone who is forward-thinking when it comes to expanding our reach outside of traditional methods and off-site. This may include brainstorming creative ways to grow our audience and present our work on alternative platforms, like Snapchat, Instagram, Vine, and Medium, but also creating content specific to those distribution channels. And we're looking for someone to re-think how editors and writers can engage with their audience and incorporate reader feedback into their work. The Internet's old commenting standards are broken, and we've moved away from using them entirely. But what comes next?
- Writing, editing, and managing content (including both editorial and marketing posts) for all social media accounts and email newsletters.
- Expanding Pacific Standard's reach by establishing creative partnerships with social media companies, other media brands, and non-media organizations.
- Directly translating social reach and engagement into sustained, increased traffic back to PSmag.com.
- Brainstorming and developing social media components to support Pacific Standard stories and packages, connecting readers with our content and engaging them in conversation. In the past, we've had tremendous success with Reddit AMAs built around print cover stories; we're looking for similarly creative ideas, to reach a larger Reddit audience and others.
- Using analytics to track audience growth and engagement across platforms.
Pacific Standard is dedicated to illuminating the worlds of politics, culture, and national affairs with the best research from the social and behavioral sciences. Our ideal candidates have demonstrated the ability to synthesize technical, academic information and make it engaging and appealing to a lay audience. We are looking for independent, self-directed journalists with an ear to the national conversation and a deep understanding of how the Internet works (and how it will work in the near future). Special consideration will go to candidates with background or previous experience in social and behavioral sciences, and an active interest in social justice, the environment, education, and economics.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to Bettina Chang, email@example.com. Your cover letter should: (1) outline some of your early ideas for expanding Pacific Standard's social media presence; (2) touch on partnerships you would hope to pursue; and (3) include a social media plan to promote one of our recent feature stories, including sample tweets and Facebook posts and ideas for further engagement.